If you suffered an injury in a car accident, you should consult a car accident lawyer Cumberland, MD residents trust. Car accident injuries can result in medical bills, lost wages and other losses. A lawyer can help you file a timely claim against the negligent party and protect your legal rights.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
Getting into a car accident is indeed shocking and scary. However, it’s important to remain as calm as possible and take the necessary steps to improve your chances of fair compensation.
- Call the Police: If a car accident resulted in injuries, you must contact the police immediately. They will come to the scene and file an accident report. The report will include important information about the vehicle crash, such as when and where it occurred and all the parties involved. Don’t forget to obtain a copy of the report for your records.
- Talk to Witnesses: If any bystanders saw the car accident take place, you should speak to them. It may feel awkward at first, but obtaining their names and contact information can help you with your case.
- Take Photos: Before you leave the accident scene, be sure to take several photos. They will help paint a picture of the accident and improve your chances of receiving fair compensation. Take clear shots of all the vehicles involved in the accident, skid marks on the road and traffic signs.
- Get Medical Attention: Even if you feel too bad, you should still see a doctor as soon as possible. As a car accident lawyer in Cumberland, MD can confirm, some car accident injuries, like whiplash and concussions, don’t always present symptoms initially. If these injuries don’t get diagnosed and treated promptly, they may get worse over time. A doctor will evaluate your body for injuries and then recommend the appropriate treatment plan.
- Speak to a Lawyer: When you’re recovering from injuries, you don’t want to take care of a car accident lawsuit on your own. That’s why you should discuss your case with an experienced car accident lawyer promptly. He or she will help you gather evidence, negotiate with the insurance company and represent you in court. If you have a skilled lawyer on your side, you will have a lot less stress.
- Write in a Journal: Memories fade over time, so write down everything you remember about the car accident as soon as possible. For instance, if you recall the other driver talking on a smartphone before the collision, jot that information down.
Schedule a consultation with a car accident lawyer in Cumberland, MD today.