Being involved in a vehicular accident can be devastating. Apart from ongoing physical pain and the need for medical care, you may be dealing with significant financial losses. These could be causing a domino-like effect on your life and that of your family. When your accident involves a rideshare company like Uber, the concern about how you can recover your losses might be heightened. Media stories have talked about Uber accident victims struggling to get justice – even with their million dollar policy. This is partly because the company has created a system that basically puts most fault on the drivers. Accident claims that involve Uber can be very complicated. In general, you will want to have an Uber accident lawyer on your side.
What You Should Do After an Uber Accident
The following are the general steps that should be taken after an Uber accident.
1. Call 911 if you suspect injuries.
2. Contact the police (if they have not already been sent to the scene).
3. Get immediate medical attention. Make sure you report every single ache or pain.
4. Take photographs of the cars, road condition, landmarks, injuries, and overall scene.
5. Screenshot the Uber app that confirms your ride.
6. Get the contact details and insurance information of your Uber driver and any other driver involved.
7. Get the contact details of witnesses.
8. Call an Uber accident lawyer
In the event you are so injured you cannot proceed with the steps above, focus on taking care of yourself. As soon as possible, you or someone on your behalf can call an attorney at a reputable law firm. Many firms are happy to arrange a phone consultation, or even may be able to visit you in the hospital.
What You Should Avoid After an Accident
1. Avoid sending any demand letter to Uber, the Uber driver, or anyone else involved in the acceptance.
2. Do not accept, or agree to, a cash offer.
3. Refuse to sign a release of liability form, any waivers, or anything else that is unclear to you.
4. Avoid talking with the defendants’ insurance adjusters.
5. Do not apologize or take any level of accountability.
Do You Need an Uber Accident Lawyer?
If you are looking for the right Uber Accident Laywer, look for a firm that can provide the following:
- Honest advice
- Knowledgeable advocacy
- Decades of experience
- Skillful, strategic negotiation
- A successful reputation
Many Uber accident lawyers accept 99% of cases on contingency. This means you don’t pay anything up front, and only if the case is a success. Time is of the essence. It is important that you do not waste any time before having a lawyer review your case. Call an Uber accident lawyer you can count on right now.
Thanks to our friends from Cohen & Cohen for their insight into Uber accident lawsuits.